Wednesday 8 June 2011

No cold water pressure in Pfister T42-YP0 single handle faucet

I forgot to add an other item for my list today:

6. Investigate why the cold water is just trickling out of our one year old Pfister T42-YP0 single handle lavatory faucet from Rona.


Hubby who is out of town until June 14th, already cut a hole through my freshly sheetrocked wall (vapour barrier and all) to get to the plumbing, as he thought he might have left the old shut-off valve closed, but it ended up being a huge waste of time. 

That good ole saying 'keep it simple stupid' comes to mind. I wish I would have thought to disconnect the supply hose from the faucet to the valve sooner because gauging from the water dripping from my face, the water supply and valve work just fine. 

I did find and remove a chunk of debris stuck in the connector (bottom arrow), and after reconnecting it found it to work just fine!  I did mention to hubby that I dropped a bit of drywall mud into the valve while it wasn't yet attached to the faucet. I got smart after that and taped up the opening but it was too late.


This was one project I needed some help with because I wasn't strong enough to undo the line. I called over Special-K's boyfriend who loosened it for me with a couple of wrenches. But he kinked the line while doing so (see top arrow). Be careful not to do this as kinking the line could ruin a perfectly good faucet.

Hubby replaced the old shut-off valves with 2 SharkBite Compression Angle Stops in Chrome - 1/2 inch x 3/8 inch from Home Depot, which do not need to be soldered just pressed on. We needed to come out of the wall with a 90 degree angle from the existing 3/8 inch copper pipe. This was also accomplished with a compression fitting. We needed to add a bit of copper pipe between that fitting and the shark valve.

It was easy breezy and they look awesome but apparently "real plumbers don't use them" because they are  "too expensive" amongst other reasons, according to a plumbing master on Terry Love's DIY plumbing forum.  But if you ask me, at $6.49 each they are much cheaper than hiring a plumber! My only complaint is that you need to hold the base with one hand while turning the valve on/off, otherwise it rotates and may become loose causing it to leak.


BTW: Special-K is daughter # 3 and the catalyst of this move which is happening in 3 weeks plus 1 day and the reason for all these last minute renos. We needed to get closer to the university as there is no public transport were we live now.

See what's left on the list

No comments:

Post a Comment